08/10/2018 - Project Blog week 3


Week 3 – Project:
Over the past few weeks I have taken into consideration a number of potential projects for my course and I have settled on the creation of a game. The type of game I have decided to go for is a relaxing puzzle solving game, I don’t want it to be the typical action type game with a shooter and hack and slash variants as I feel those games have become incredibly over saturated and personally boring. However there is a market for games like I am aiming to create with games like Abzu and The Witness, these games have proven to be hugely popular for both a few reasons, many comment on their engaging story, Beautiful scenery and the relaxing nature of these games.


The popularity of these games especially with gamers above the age of 18 have showed that there isn’t a great need for a new shooter/action game that’s a carbon copy of its predecessors but shows there’s a growing market for games with a bit more depth and relaxation.

Journey is another hugely popular game in a similar format racking up a score of 92% on Meta critic, 9/10 on IGN and 10/10 on trusted reviews. This shows that there is something about these types of games that grip people and to me it’s how easy it is to switch them on, settle down and just relax whilst enjoying the beautiful sceneries and relaxing game-play without too much taxing effort, loud noises and flashy game-play.




My target audience will be gamers just like me, over the age of 18, not always wanting to hop on to shooters and people who just like to play games to relax, whilst it doesn’t sound like much of an audience at first as of a few months ago Abzu stood at over 577,340 players on steam alone, and seeing as it is also released on three other platforms it shows there’s a definite audience for these types of games.

This project is going to take me until the end of the academic year (June 2019) as I can’t just jump straight into creating this game, I need to take time to learn how the software works, Design my areas, learn how to design and create 3D models using Maya 3D and learn how to use animation. I feel this is a good project to both learn and test my abilities and with a respectable time frame to do so.


Below are some initial ideas for my starting map design (without any assets)


I am hoping to go for a type of scene where the biomes change periodically to show the player on a journey and to make it feel like they have been covering large distances.





Comments

Popular Posts